Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

Zoning In On This Powdered Peanut Butter Ordeal...

I don't know about the rest of you, but I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER. I think it stems from my childhood, when I would look forward to opening up my lunch bag and finding my mom's PB and J on Roman Meal bread. I was THAT kid, who would sneak into the cabinets when no one was watching and dig out scoops of that stuff with my fingers. Of course, that was back before I knew the difference between the REAL peanut butter and Skippy, which was what my Mom bought. I don't think she knew either. That stuff was addictive! Now I know why...additives and chemicals, party of...10? At least.

Now I know to eat the REAL peanut butter, you know the kind that is 2-4 dollars at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, or Laura Scudders at Ralphs and Albertsons, the kind that has the oil on top and has maybe two ingredients...peanuts and salt. Sometimes just peanuts! For me, it is typically either that or almond butter...something I also never knew about growing up, but now I find quite tasty.

So anyhow, nut butters, specifically peanut and almond, are good for you. I prefer almond butter because it has more fiber and I enjoy the taste. In general, a quality REAL peanut butter contains healthy fats, fiber, vitamins, minerals, etc. So yes, peanut butter can be healthy, but don't forget it is a FAT, and sometimes I find myself eating more of the real stuff than I should. I kept seeing this stuff called PB2 being toted around the bodybuilding/health minded world. I would see recipes with it, smoothies, desserts with PB2 drizzled on top, etc. I can recall trying an alternative peanut butter source before, which will remain nameless, and being completely grossed out, so needless to say, I was not in a rush to try this one either. Then, I was perusing Instagram one night, and one of the people I follow, a guy who creates amazing desserts that are made almost completely of fitness products (protein powders, etc) who also has a huge following had a peanut butter brownie dessert that was using this PB2. I decided I wanted to check this stuff out for myself. I looked up online where around Los Angeles I could find this infamous powdered peanut butter, and headed to Rainbow Acres, a health food store in Marina Del Rey.


So, I actually ended up buying two. The one on the right is the original version, but they were sold out of the bottle, so I bought the vacuumed pack bag, then the one on the left is the version that has premium chocolate in it. The jar was about 7 dollars and the bag was closer to 10...so it is kind of an investment, but hey, maybe this way I won't eat as much of it!

First of all let's talk ingredients. I would think a powdered peanut butter, that has only 1 gram of fat per serving (YES ONLY ONE GRAM!) would have a zillion additives, but the ingredient list says roasted peanuts, sugar and salt. Hmmmm...it does also say this product contains peanut proteins...so what exactly does that mean? I guess that would be my only reservation...but otherwise...okay, let's try this!

So you take two tablespoons of the product and mix it with one tablespoon of water for the desired peanut butter texture. You can obviously use more of the powder and more water, depending on if you are making something or if you are just using it as a spread on a sandwich or in some oatmeal. I used the two tablespoon serving, which has 45 calories, 1 gram of fat, 0 saturated fat, 70 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrates, 1 gram of fiber, 3 grams of sugar and 4 grams of protein. I just wanted a taste, but after that two tablespoon serving I can see how people are addicted. This stuff is delicious! It really tastes like peanut butter...the same creamy, peanutty mouthfeel, the same smell...wow, crazy! It is missing  the oily texture that real peanut butter has, because the oil is extracted in the process of creating this powder. I almost forgot it is also KOSHER and GLUTEN-FREE. I see how this is a fitness competitor's dream when they are craving something that at the very least tastes fattening. But let's not forget, PB2 is not whole real food.

I am still a sucker for the real thing, not to mention the fibers and minerals the real thing contains that I am pretty sure the powdered version does not, but I would definitely use this when I am trying to cut back a bit on fats, and perhaps I would use it in smoothies or other desserts I would try to make just to experiment.

For my Los Angeles friends, if you are curious to try this product, as mentioned above, it is sold at Rainbow Acres, or you can also buy it online.

No comments:

Post a Comment